'Happy VALUE Day!' is the theme reflecting the inherent, innate, undeniable VALUE that is present in all people with a developmental disability, or disability in general.
We believe that our son is valuable to us, every day. We select Sunday's to honor the value in others, like him with Autism and other neurological conditions. People with disabilities should be understood, accepted, and appreciated, too. So, we want join others in celebrating the great things our special needs family, coworkers, friends, neighbors,etc... do for our communities.
Why do you VALUE your child's Special Education Teacher(s)?*
We thought about this question as we shared with other Parents during our son's 'Meet & Greet' at his elementary school. He has a new teacher, old and new classmates, and a somewhat new classroom(shared in snack time, previously);and all at the same school.
- We VALUE our son's special needs Teachers because they are trained professionals who compassionately help our son learn his academic lessons.
- His Special Education Teachers help him embrace inclusion concepts while he plays in a least restrictive enviroment.
- His special needs Teachers are mindful of his need for specific accommodations and modifications that assist him with learning.
No, they do not 'baby' him!
- Rather, our son's Teachers show him how to learn from his autistic perspective.
His Teachers do not focus on the 'dis'.
- Instead, his Teachers target his ABILITIES!
Having a unique learning style is not bad or sad.
- Skills for learning from within an autism spectrum presents innovative opportunities for his educators.
- Our son's Teachers help him communicate, socialize, share, laugh and play with his classmates.
- Our son's Teachers help his classmates understand, accept and appreciate him as a fellow student with VALUE!
So, 'Happy VALUE Day!' to Special Education Teachers!
Note: * Special Education (needs) Teachers include the paraprofessionals and paraeducators who diligently work hand in hand with the Teachers. Thank you, too.