Enjoying the Hi-5s of Autism - A Family Experience
- EnjoyHi5!Autism (adults)
- EnjoyHi5Autism on YouTube
- EnjoyHi5Autism on Vimeo
- Enjoying the Hi-5s of Autism - A Family Experience (Facebook)
- EnjoyHi5Autism (KBJCosse'@EnjoyHi5Autism - Twitter)
- (KBJ Cosse'@babymiracle2005 -Twitter)
- Enjoying the Hi-5s of Autism - A Family Experience (Google/GoogleBuzz/Blogspot)
- Planning Successful Event!" (Events & Training - NLCA,LLC -Facebook)
- Events Planning & Strategic Training (NLCA,LLC)
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Voice Your Choice! Stop the use of the 'R' word!
New Jersey bans the use of the word "retarded"
(Governor) "Christie said "he regretted people had to wait so long to get the bill passed, and said he was proud to have signed it. This is making sure each citizen in our state is treated with the respect they deserve ... It’s their government, too,’’ he said.
The 81-page bill includes the citations in state law and regulations that have to be changed, including: "mentally retarded," "physically handicapped," "feeble-minded,’’ and "physically or mentally defective." The law also applies to language involving people with mental illness, such as "the insane," the "mentally deficient," and "the mentally ill."
"Words matter - it’s that simple,’’ said Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester), one of the bill’s sponsors and the father of a daughter with a developmental disability. "We have a community of productive, hard-working citizens...The ‘R’ word should mean respect."
The legislation (S1982) passed in June. "